UPDATED: 2 November 2021
We’re off the red list, which means UK & US flights are now open. If you have planned and booked, or are in the process of planning your African safari, you can now do so without any hassle. Especially if you need to travel via South Africa to enter Botswana, Zambia, or Zimbabwe.
Of course, COVID-19 protocols still need to be adhered to. You may require proof of a PCR test upon your arrival, and one may need to be done two days before you depart. You can find all that information on our Coronavirus (COVID-19) FAQ blog, curated to answer all your questions.
Important information that may affect your flight:
South Africa is currently under Level one lock down. This means that there is a curfew from 00:00-04:00. This curfew may affect your flight schedule if you need to travel via South Africa. Make sure you have double checked with your airline.
Airlines Flying in to South Africa from the US
These airlines are flying in to Johannesburg form US:
- United Airlines- Flies daily.
- Delta Air Lines- Flies six days a week.
- KLM- Flies daily from the US to Southern Africa (JNB).
- Lufthansa- Flies six days a week from the US.
- Air France- Flies five days a week, approximately two flights a day from the US to Johannesburg.
- Ethiopian Airlines- Flies twice a week from JFK to Johannesburg.
- Emirates- flies six days a week to South Africa.
- British Airways- British Airways flies six days a week from all major US airports. These flights usually occur once a day.
- American Airlines-Flies daily.
- Swiss- Swiss flies daily from the US.
- Qatar Airways- Flies daily from some airports in the United States, especially JFK in New York City.
- Brussels Airlines-Flies six days a week from the United States to South Africa.
Airlines Flying in to South Africa from the UK
These airlines are flying in to Johannesburg from UK:
- Swiss- Swiss Air flies six days a week to Johannesburg.
- Lufthansa- Lufthansa flies six days a week
- Emirates- Emirates flies between three to five days a week.
- Brussels Airlines- Brussels Airlines flies three times a week
- Austrian Airlines- Flies six days a week
- Ethiopian Airlines- Ethiopian Airlines flies five days a week.
- Qatar Airways- Qatar Airways flies daily.
- Virgin Atlantic -Virgin Atlantic flies five days a week.
- United Airlines- flies once a day three times a week.
- Etihad Airlines- Flies three to five days a week.
- Egyptair- Flies three to five days a week, once a day.
Please note: The information provided above is subject to change by the airline. We have collected data using a flight bookings tool.
Flight Schedules to Southern Africa From Your Safari Destination
- There are fights daily to and from Gaborone, Botswana. Air Botswana, Airlink and Ethiopian Airlines fly daily from Botswana to Johannesburg.
- Air Botswana flies from Botswana to Johannesburg over 30 times a week. Currently, Air Botswana is the most popular choice because of its frequent flights. There are approximately 4 flights going out each day to Johannesburg, and on Wednesdays & Thursdays, these flights increase to over 6 a day.
- Airlink flies just over 13 times a week from Botswana to Johannesburg. There are approximately three flights a day, coming from Botswana to Johannesburg.
- Ethiopian Airways flies thrice a week, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. You can expect at least two flights from Botswana to Johannesburg on these days.
- There are flights daily from Harare to Johannesburg via Airlink, Fastjet Airlines, British Airways, Kenya Airways and Ethiopian Airlines.
- Fastjet Airlines fly five days a week, with two flights going out each day, except on Mondays, when one flight is available.
- British Airlines fly seven days a week, with only one flight leaving Harare each day.
- Airlink flies seven days a week and there are over 10 flights leaving from Harare to Johannesburg.
- British Airways flies from Monday through to Saturday. You can expect one flight per day from Harare to Johannesburg.
- Kenya Airways flies Monday through to Saturday. You can expect one flight per day from Harare to Johannesburg.
- ProFlight Zambia and Cem Air fly daily from Livingstone to Johannesburg.
- ProFlight Zambia flies four to five times a day from Livingstone to Johannesburg.
- Cem Air flies once a day.
- Kenya Air flies Tuesday through Sunday, once a day, from Livingstone to Johannesburg.
- Airlink flies approximately six days a week, from Tuesday through to Sunday. There are about 10 flights going out per week. These are usually spread over the six days.
- Kenya Airways flies approximately twice a week from Livingstone to Johannesburg.
*Please be aware that this is a rapidly changing environment and the flights mentioned are subject to amendment.